Jane Grigson Trust Award – Rules of Entry
- Entry is open to writers who are writing for the first time a non-fiction book about food or drink. (Writers who have previously written on other subjects are eligible, although all previous books must be declared, with publisher and date of publication.)
- Entry is only open to authors of books which have received a commission for publication by a recognised professional publishing house, which has not been paid by the author and which publishes more than one writer and distributes their works via recognised channels such as online retailers and through bookshops. Print and/or ebooks are eligible. Self-published books are not eligible. Proof of commission (in the form of either a copy of a contract or a letter of intent from the publisher) is required.
- The book’s proposed publication date must be after 30 March 2020.
- Entry is open to UK citizens or to foreign nationals who have been resident in the UK for more than three years. Proof of citizenship (in the form of a scan of the photo page of a UK passport) or residency (in the form of a scan of the photo page of a non-UK passport and a utility bill or similar) are required.
- Entrants must be 18 years or older.
- The entry must be written in the English language.
- The entry must take the form of the proposal or other material on the basis of which the book was commissioned.
- Either authors, their publishers or agents may make the entry. Individual authors may enter only one work. Publishers and agents may enter only one work per eligible author.
- Entries must be sent by email only to firstname.lastname@example.org between 2 September 2019 and midnight 30 November 2019. No entry received either before or after these dates will be eligible.
- The decision of the administrators of the Award as to eligibility is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- Submission of entry implies acceptance of all the rules. Failure to comply with the rules may result in disqualification.
- The winner of the Award must be available to attend the award-giving ceremony in March 2020.
Please note that no entries or entry documents can be returned.
The judges for the 2020 Award are: Geraldene Holt (author, Chair of the Jane Grigson Trust); Karen Barnes (editor of Delicious magazine); Angela Hartnett (chef); Jill Norman (food writer, editor and Trustee of the Jane Grigson Trust); Donald Sloan (Chair of the Oxford Cultural Collective and Trustee of the Jane Grigson Trust)
The judges’ decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
The Jane Grigson Trust reserves the right to change the panel of judges without notice.
Shortlist and Winner
The shortlist for the Award will be announced in February 2020. If you have not heard from the administrator of the Award by end February 2029, your entry has been unsuccessful.
The winner of the Award will be announced at an award-giving ceremony in March 2020. The winner must be available to attend the ceremony to receive the Award.